On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 8:38 PM, Iain Duncan <iaindun...@telus.net> wrote:

> Hi folks, I totally do not want to start a flame war here, but was
> wondering if people could give me their reasons for preferring buildout
> or virtualenv for automated builds of pylons apps or other wsgi apps.

Virtualenv is more popular because it follows traditional Python usage
for the most part.  You install packages interactively  and can change
your mind at any time.  Buildout's configuration recipes are hard for
many people to memorize, and it's more suited to situations where you
know ahead of time exactly which libraries you'll need   You can
change the configuration and rebuild the environment from scratch, but
it's not as easy as installing an experimental package, trying it out,
and then uninstalling it if you don't like it.So with virtualenv you
can use the same tools for development as you use for deployment,
whereas buildout is more of a deployment-only thing.

On the other hand, buildout has some features virtualenv doesn't, like
an egg cache.  You can have it build up a shared cache of eggs you've
installed, which it can pull from for later installs. easy_install
could do this while it downloads things, but it doesn't.

There's a new tool pip which is an alternative to easy_install.  It
also has its advantages and disadvantages, and is worth checking out.

--
Mike Orr <sluggos...@gmail.com>