On 07/03/17 09:36, Tobias Fröschle wrote:
Peter, Marcel,

I have yet to discover a program that doesn't run on SMSQ/E, provided it's set
to mimic a QL memory map, and does on Minerva (but I'm open to suggestions).
Weird programs are normally sooo weird that they won't run on either...

Minerva is a miraculous thing in terms of code density and still a masterpiece.
It's also, especially when things are getting close to the hardware, much
better documented/commented (sorry, Marcel) than SMSQ/E. Whenever I try to
understand something in terms of original QL HW, my first reference are the
Minerva sources. But:

# of active code maintainers for Minerva: 0
# of active code maintainers for SMSQ/E: some :)

Writing software/drivers for Minerva - just like original QDOS - is also always
a bit of a choice: You /can/ assume, for example (for whatever reasons), that
you want the Thing extension to be loaded. You /can/ also assume, for example,
the Extended Environment - All of this is available for Minerva, and even QDOS.
But that means you build dependencies into the driver/software - On SMSQ/E, all
of this can be taken as a given.

Minerva is also closely tailored to the original QL hardware, for example assuming a
"compatible" memory map (at least in the lower 1M). Changes to that, like
reserving specific areas for specific purposes, I'd assume to be nearly impossible.
(hypothetical examples would be introducing DMA- and non-DMA capable areas, or the
Atari's protected I/O ranges)

If the memory's there: I don't see any good reasons to port Minerva to new
hardware. SMSQ/E is much better suited for both past and future.

Tobias