pg...@q40.de wrote:
>> Thanks for the feedback. Are there people badly missing the network
>> code in the new TK2, i.e. is this still a thing?
>
> Depends on ROM or RAM.
>
> The network code is an essential of the ROM version. If removed, I
> would not call the result TK2 ROM anymore.

Well, I do ;-)

> Pure BASIC extensions can run from RAM, while the network code is
> hardware dependant and must run from ROM.

As I already wrote privately, the whole code is too large to fit in
the 16KB ROM in any case. The network code takes up 15% of the ROM
space, that is a very large percentage. I would have to remove 20
other features to fit this single network feature.

However, not all of the network code strictly needs to be in the ROM,
only a few timing critical parts. So there might be a solution by
making the server software external to the ROM. Just thoughts at this
stage, though.

> I would not remove code from ROM which needs to run there, and
> replace it by code which can run elsewhere.

It's fairly easy to built new versions, so nobody is stopping anybody
to make different releases. I do this for my own amusement, mostly.

> By the way, retro-computing with the original hardware seems to
> happen more often, not less often in recent years.

Yes, I'm one of them, otherwise I wouldn't bother with TK2...

Marcel