From: Lee Privett via Ql-Users <ql-users@lists.q-v-d.com>
To: ql-users <ql-us...@q-v-d.com>
CC: Lee Privett <lee.priv...@gmail.com>
Sent: Thu, 17 Aug 2017 18:14
Subject: Re: [Ql-Users] TURBO and testing it exists

Perhaps I should clarify this a little further.Using Q-emuLator, my boot first
loads SMSQ_QEM and restarts with the sameboot, I will always do this or use
QPC2, I am not really looking for a BBQLsolution as it is development for other
things.Where this[code]IF VER$<>"HBA" THEN   LRESPR "WIN8_SMSQ_QEM"END
IF[/code]loads SMSQ and fails the second time around (as designed, so all good)
asthe same boot loads again, I then load (still in the same boot)
theTURBO_SMS_CODE appropriate for SMSQ based system.This is all fine, however,
I am developing the boot for different setupsand change them a lot depending on
what project I decide to work on.This means re-running the boot several times
in the one session to testwhat I am trying to do and I don't want to keep using
up space re-LRESPRthe TURBO toolkit.Using another toolkit to test for the
existence of a keyword in the TURBOtoolkit would then mean using another method
to test for that additionalToolkit, a catch 22.So I may try the WHEN_ERR method
as soon as I find the documentation on it.LeeLeeOn Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 10:49
AM, Derek Stewart via Ql-Users <ql-users@lists.q-v-d.com> wrote:> Hi Tobias,>>
The WHEN solution is great, but on some version of QODS, the WHEN ERRor> did
not work.>> There are some people still using AH,JM, roms which may have
problems with> WHEN ERRor>> --> Regards,>> Derek>>> On 17/08/17 10:39, Tobias
Fröschle via Ql-Users wrote:>>> After I sent this, I realised a bit of
explanation might be in order, as>> WHEN ERRor is not so well-known:>>>> When
the interpreter passes a WHEN ERRor/END WHEN pair during normal>> program
execution, it doesn't do anything with the commands inside the>> clause but
remembering "I should do this in case an error occurs". So, line>> 1020 is not
executed if no error occurs in line 1050. But in case there is>> an error (the
interpreter choking on the MANIFEST statement it doesn't know>> when TT is not
loaded), line 1020 is executed, telling us TT is not loaded.>>>> After 1020 was
executed, the program is continued at the point /after/>> the error
occurred.>>>> The empty WHEN ERRor clause (1060-1070) simply de-activates
error>> processing back to "normal".>>>> Line 1080 will thus have the variable
TurboTkLoaded to 1, if 1050 was>> executed without a problem, and set to 0 in
case there was an error.>> Because we have made sure line 1050 is the only line
that can be executed>> while error processing is active, we clearly know the
only problem in 1050>> can only be "bad name". So it is important to pick a
"test command" from>> the toolkit you are testing for that cannot choke on a
different error than>> "bad name". MANIFEST is pretty ideal for this.>>>>
Tobias>>>> Am 17.08.2017 um 11:25 schrieb Tobias Fröschle via Ql-Users <>>>
ql-users@lists.q-v-d.com>:>>>>>> Lee,>>>>>> there are a number of toolkits that
allow you to check for specific>>> other toolkit commands loaded or not - But
this is a bit useless as it>>> leaves you with a chicken-and-egg problem: How
to check whether the>>> checking toolkit is loaded?>>>>>> Your best bet on
SMSQ/E would be a WHEN ERRor clause you place just in>>> front of a Toolkit
command you are about to execute:>>>>>> 1000 TurboTkLoaded = 1>>> 1010 WHEN
ERRor>>> 1020    TurboTkLoaded = 0>>> 1030 END WHEN>>> 1040 REMark Execute a
Toolkit command>>> 1050 MANIFEST : x = 100>>> 1055 REMark de-activate error
checker>>> 1060 WHEN ERRor>>> 1070 END WHEN>>> 1080 PRINT "Turbo Toolkit
loaded:"!TurboTkLoaded>>>>>> On a QL with non-working WHEN ERRor commands
(pre-MG) you are a bit>>> doomed, the only thing I could probably come up with
is writing a BASIC>>> program that PEEKs the name list, which is not quite so
simple.>>>>>> Tobias>>>>>>>>> Am 17.08.2017 um 10:49 schrieb Lee Privett via
Ql-Users <>>>> ql-users@lists.q-v-d.com>:>>>>>>>> I originally posted this on
the forum:>>>>>>>> Hi community, I have searched for this on the forum but
cannot find an>>>> entry but I am sure this has been asked before.>>>>>>>> I
currently test for the presence of the HBA ROM in a boot program using>>>> VER$
and would like to test for other toolkits, specifically the TURBO>>>> toolkit.
Is there a way to do this automatically in a boot so that when>>>> subsequent
runs of the boot it is not loaded again in one session?>>>>>>>> e.g. for the
HBA version I use:>>>>>>>> Code: Select all
<http://qlforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2063#>>>>> IF VER$<>"HBA" THEN>>>>
LRESPR "WIN8_SMSQ_QEM">>>> END IF>>>>>>>>>>>> I feel there must be a way to
test for TURBO toolkit, any ideas?>>>>>>>> A reply from Derek suggested  the
following:>>>>>>>> There is a keyword: TK_VER$, but only returns the version of
Turbo>>>> Toolkit,>>>> which is the same for the SMS and QDOS versions.>>>>>>>>
A simple way would be to add "SMS" in the version number. Which would>>>>
mean>>>> a new version of Turbo Toolkit.>>>>>>>> The SMS version calls the
SMSQ/E extended traps, where the QDOS does>>>> not,>>>> so maybe a test for
SMSQ/E extended traps is the way, but I would favour>>>> the about alteration
to TK_VER$.>>>>>>>> George Gwilt used to maintain Turbo and maybe the Toolkit.
I think this>>>> message needs to be posted in the QL-USERS mailing list,
George Gwilt>>>> reads>>>> that list.>>>>>>>> Any views at all?>>>>>>>> Regards
Mailing List