On 13 May 2002, at 13:44, Dave wrote:

> Never say things likje 'the "registrar", i.e. me.' because this means "me"
> is the registrar. This is very open to abuse. You would here put a
> personal or organisation name and contact details. Obviously this is a
> draft, but this does need correcting.

Sure - this is why this isn't the licence yet.

(snip) binary distribution.

> There. Software developers are explicitly allowed to distribute beta/test
> versions as listed above.
..as an exception to the rule, as is explicitly stated - sure. I seem
to remember this was inspired by you..... :-)

> However, the way this is currently structured is
> open to abuse.
>
> May I suggest a small change here?
>
> Limit distribution of beta/test versions to only those who a) are already
> entitled by license to posess a copy and b) are actively involved in
> testing or debugging the software. This will allow genuine distribution,
> but prevent distribution on a "friendly" basis.

I thought about that, but there were two arguments that dissuaded
me from it:

If you develop new hardware, the tester may not have a legitimate
copy of SMSQ/E yet - since it runs on new hardware...

Some testers are "only" users - they are great testers, but are they
"actively involved" (try to define that!!!) ?

> Finally, I strongly advise a change to the structure of the document now
> that the content is almost there ;o)  I would recommend defining
> "Licensor", "Licensed Distributor", "Licensed Developer" and "Licensed
> User" as all have different rights and restrictions placed on them by the
> above license.

Yup.

> If you would like, I would be happy to assist you privately to do this,
> without changing either the intent or the specifics of the license as it
> now stands...

Or even publicly! I have absolutely no qualms about accepting help
from all of you!

Wolfgang