On 18 May 2002, at 12:40, Richard Zidlicky wrote:

> There is nothing in the license that would guarantee me any of my
> changes will get back into official SMSQ.
That is true. On the contrary, the registrar has the right to
oinclude/exclude any code.

> There is nothing in the license to guarantee me that official
> or inofficial binaries of SMSQ will be available.

Of course not. On the contratry - there should ne no "inofficial"
versions, at least none that I want to know about.

> than the license is very badly engineered. It enforces discipline
> by rather brute methods that will only hurt people who would like
> to help and leaves too many important points wide open.
> I have proposed alternatives to Wolfgang, something like this:
>
> << you are allowed to do anything with this code as long as
>     - you accept this copyright
>     - you leave this copyright message intact and don't
>       place any additional restrictions on the code
>     - you don't sell this source or anything derived from
>       this source, including binaries
>     - you don't branch the code.
>    licensing for commercial purposes is available under
>    following conditions:

Forgetting, of course: you may not distribute the binaries. But then,
of course, this isn't to your liking any more, is it?

> If discipline is all you want than this should do quite
> well and still leave sufficient room for commercial
> development. The formulation above may seem a bit naive
> - it is. We aren't expecting to deal with criminals here,
> are we?
Well of course we are, aren't we? racketeers, all!

Wolfgang
www.wlenerz.com