On 19 May 2002, at 22:09, Claus Graf wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I have a dream - the best operating system around is
> free and open source!

Well, right now it isn't.

> Tony Tebby opened up the way into a bright future of
> SMSQ/E by allowing SMSQ/E to be free and open source and
> enabling the remaining core operating system programmers
> to develop SMSQ/E further. Many thanks for that!
>
> But this historic opportunity is thrown away and a
> license is invented that turns almost every freedom that
> Tony Tebby would have allowed us into prohibitions to
> fulfill commercial purposes.

I don't see it that way. The licence does allow you the freedom to
make changes. Alright, so only the resellers may sell the binary
code. So what?

> Not only that, the "license" takes away every important right
> of an open source developer who wants to contribute his work for
> free! The fruits of hard work will be lost, abused or sold by
> third parties for unknown prices.
Oh sure, I can see it now: code "abusers" charinbg 1000s of euros
and the poor unsuspecting users flocking in wiht their hard earned
cash.
Please people, get real.

> (The only thing left is to see a snapshot of the sources,
> later on one can only see the non commercial parts of SMSQ/E.)
>
> Please consider now, that all major programmers, who are
> willing and able to write operating system code for Q60 SMSQ/E,
> are open source and free software developers and cannot work
> under such conditions.
I can.
But then, true, I'm not a major programmer.

> This means that SMSQ/E development is
> stopped for the last QL platform that is still produced, the Q60!
>
> So I kindly ask Wolfgang and the forces in the background:

Cue in the dramatic music. May the "forces in the backgroud" be
with you.
You all know of course, that I am just a front for a sinister fiend
mafia, bent on destroying the Ql world (at least) and make a
fortune when doing so.

I'm sorry Claus, just venting my anger at you...

Wolfgang

www.wlenerz.com