This is only part of the story. There is also a general move by the computer industry to have fewer interfaces and, by extension, fewer drivers on a system. USB II is much faster than Parallel - actually even USB 1.1 was. They also want to lose the PS/2 ports and use USB for keyboard and mouse as well. It is all part of the way that the physical makeup of the modern computer is being steered. As I have said before the floppy drive is going too!.

Well, floppy may even bring us an improvement: I have seen USB floppy drives from Teac and Sony which claim to be 2x speed!! Has anyone tested them under QPC? Are they really twice the speed? I wouldn't mind that (with all the disk copying at the shows!)

Jochen