On  Wed, 17 Mar 2004 at 18:21:03, Dilwyn Jones wrote:
(ref: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)

>> Mind you the 300bps acoustic coupler modem is a bit limiting (8-)#
>> It was Z88 like, but with a great keyboard, but poor screen.
>Acoustic coupler? Is that a modem that plays the sound through the
>telephone handset rather than plug into the phone line? I remember
>reading about that kind of thing many, many years ago, but never used
>one and didn't really believe they would work anyway...surely a TV on
>in the
>background or something would make it not work?
They fitted very tightly over the phone and worked very well.
The phones had to be old style - but they all ere then!

This was the standard way for the old teletype links (IBM call 360 and
the like).  There were no modems as such in the 70s.

You had to dial manually, listen for the tones, and fit the coupler.
... and the 'monitor' was a wide carriage IBM golfball printer.
Those were the days (8-)#

--
         QBBS (QL fido BBS 2:252/67) +44(0)1442-828255
     tony@<surname>.co.uk  http://www.firshman.co.uk