Hi all..

Have been lurking here for a while, reading the various threads, along
with looking at different websites, faqs etc. As a beginner, the QL world
seemed very complicated, with strangely named Trump Cards, Gold Cards, and
hundred of programs, expansions and websites uncomfortably squeezing their
names around the letters "Q" and "L". Anyway, things are a little more
clear now and i'm keen to give the machine itself a try.

What are your opinions on beginning this venture, for someone on quite a
tight budget but with enthusiasm for computer meddling and unusual
hardware. Just how much use would a standard QL be (there seem to be quite
a few on EBay at any one time)? It seems to me that a floppy disk
interface of some description is a necessity to connect the QL to the
outside world (i.e. for downloading files from the net and transferring
them across). But oh, what about the disk format? Didn't think about that.

Is a Qubbide hard drive interface another must have? More expense but then
what's the point in getting involved with the QL if i'm trying to use
hardware unrepresentative of the majority of current users. But then
things start to become quite expensive and I risk spending a lot (for me)
of money on something which i'll get little use our of.

Anyway, not sure if that made much sense, just some musings and interested
to hear your views.

Many thanks,

Stephen