On 9/7/2007 12:36 PM, Gene Selkov wrote:
> I have found two prior instances of this question in R-help, but I can't
> find the answer, and I'm giving up on mindless tinkering.
>
>    http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/help/03a/5994.html
>    https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2004-December/062259.html
>
> I must be able to pipe the poltting commands to stdin and receive the plot
> on stdout, with errors written to stderr, should any occur.
>
> Here's what I tried:
>
> file test.r:
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> postscript(stdout())
> plot(0)
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> This command:
>
>     cat test.r | r --vanilla --slave
>
> writes the output to a file named "1"
>
> I have also tried:
>
>    postscript(file=stdout())
>    postscript(file=file("stdout"))
>
> In the latter case, the output goes to the file named "3".
>
> Other graphics devices do the same thing.
>
> It is interesting that write.table() supports the file=stdout() idiom. If
> there is no official option to do this, I will appreciate a hint
> about the spot in the code where I can fix it.

The ?postscript man page suggests that

postscript(file="", command="cat")

should do what you want (or maybe something other than "cat" for the
passthrough).  The file arg is described as a character string, not a
connection, so I wouldn't expect stdout() to work.  For write.table(),
the arg is defined to be either the name of a file or an open connection.

Duncan Murdoch