Mange tak!

FYI, this is the way it is able to run (I was going to attach
"station.precip.R", but I read that attaching files is not recommended
- let me
know if you would like it)

x <- dget(file="C://Documents and Settings/Bradley/My
Documents/Arizona/CourseResources/ATMO529/station.precip.R")
histogram(~ data | month * station, data = sta.stack,
        subset = type=="precip" & month %in% c("Dec","Jan","Feb"),
        xlab = "Precipitation (mm)",
        type = "density",
        panel = function(x, ...) {
                panel.histogram(x, ...)
                panel.mathdensity(dmath = dnorm, col = "black",
                                        args = list(mean =
mean(sta.stack$data), sd = sd(sta.stack$data)))
                panel.mathdensity(dmath = dgamma, col = "black",
                                        args = list(shape =
(mean(sta.stack$data))^2 / (stdev(sta.stack$data))^2,
                                                        scale =
(stdev(sta.stack$data))^2 / mean(sta.stack$data)))
        })

Now, what would be great is to be able to reference the different calls to
panel.mathdensity() so that the corresponding probability * histogram area ( =
counts) in each bin can be used to compute a simple chi-square
goodness-of-fit.
 I tried calling panel.mathdensity() outside of histogram(), but I don't think
this is right - it returns NULL.  I also looked at chisq.test, but this
doesn't
support trellis formulas.  Any thoughts or leads?

Thanks,
Brad Christoffersen

Quoting Frede Aakmann Tøgersen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

The following is one of the examples in the help page for histogram:

     histogram( ~ height | voice.part, data = singer,
               xlab = "Height (inches)", type = "density",
               panel = function(x, ...) {
                   panel.histogram(x, ...)
                   panel.mathdensity(dmath = dnorm, col = "black",
                                     args = list(mean=mean(x),sd=sd(x)))
               } )

This should give you some thing to start from.

Also using the subset argument of the lattice functions will make
make your code more readable. Instead of your code

histogram(~ data | month * station,
        data = sta.stack[sta.stack[,"type"]=="precip" &
(sta.stack[,"month"]=="Dec" | sta.stack[,"month"]=="Jan" |
sta.stack[,"month"]=="Feb"),],
        xlab = "Precipitation (mm)")

you can use (not tested because you didn't supply a reproducable example)

histogram(~ data | month * station, data = sta.stack
        subset = type==precip & month %in% c("Dec", "Jan", "Feb"),
        xlab = "Precipitation (mm)")

Med venlig hilsen
Frede Aakmann Tøgersen