Hi Martin.

Since you are writing & reading trees to file, my guess is that it has to do with numerical precision - that is, the rounding of your edge lengths when they are written to file.

Does your tree look ultrametric when plotted in R? If so, this is probably the case.

My recommendation is that you use phangorn to compute the non-negative least-squares edge lengths with the condition that the tree is ultrametric. This will give you the edge lengths that result in the distances between taxa with minimum sum of squared differences from the distances implied by your input tree, under the criterion that the resulting tree is ultrametric.

To do this you need to merely run:

library(phytools)
library(phangorn)
is.ultrametric(tree) ## fails
plotTree(tree,ftype="off") ## does my tree look ultrametric?
nnls<-nnls.tree(cophenetic(tree),tree,rooted=TRUE)
is.ultrametric(tree) ## should pass

Let us know if this works. All the best, Liam

Liam J. Revell, Associate Professor of Biology
University of Massachusetts Boston
web: http://faculty.umb.edu/liam.revell/
email: liam.rev...@umb.edu
blog: http://blog.phytools.org