Personally, I don’t think I’d have a problem with this approach (especially
given the paper Liam cited) given that you are using a phylogeny (a model) to
test a hypothesis, which is, after all, all we can ever do. You can always do
more, so any threshold of phylogenetic tree “quality” is going to be somewhat
arbitrary anyway. I don’t mean to sound defeatist — obviously you should do the
best job that you can, and it sounds like you have done that given that the
goal of your research is not to reconstruct a new phylogeny of the clade you’re
studying. Perhaps you can try to explain this in your rebuttal.

Or alternatively, use Liam’s awesome code (below) to generate all possible
phylogenetic trees give your polytomies, and run your PGLS on all of them to
see if its sensitive to topology. You could probably loop this up somehow
without much effort.
http://blog.phytools.org/2016/08/resolving-one-or-more-multifurcations.html?m=1
<http://blog.phytools.org/2016/08/resolving-one-or-more-multifurcations.html?m=1>

Jake