Hi Katharine.

You can also do ancestral state estimation for the model "ARD" using the packages diversitree. There is a worked example on my blog here: http://blog.phytools.org/2016/09/possible-bug-in-acemodelard-and-other.html (also highlighting a possible bug in ace for model="ARD" & other non-reversible models). Let us know if this helps.

All the best, Liam

Liam J. Revell, Associate Professor of Biology
University of Massachusetts Boston
web: http://faculty.umb.edu/liam.revell/
email: liam.rev...@umb.edu
blog: http://blog.phytools.org