Hi Yan,

I tried with 10,000 trees each with 1000 tips and it took a bit more than 1 sec:

R> tr <- rmtree(10000, 1000)
R> system.time(a <- .compressTipLabel(tr))
utilisateur     système      écoulé
      1.124       0.036       1.161

And yes the memory footprint is substantially decreased:

R> print(object.size(tr), unit="Mb")
850.6 Mb
R> print(object.size(a), unit="Mb")
315.7 Mb

What is the size of your problem?

Do you use a recent version of ape? This function was improved one or two years ago.

Best,

Emmanuel