Hi Yan.

In case it is useful I just pushed an update to phytools in which I have added an as.multiPhylo method for objects of class "phylo". This will also return an object of class "multiPhylo" if that is already the object class. This means that:

obj<-as.multiPhylo(read.nexus(...))

in which ... are the arguments to read.nexus, will return an object of class "multiPhylo" with length 1 if the file contains only one tree - but will also return an object of class "multiPhylo" if the file has 2 or more trees.

To get this one needs to install phytools from GitHub using devtools:

library(devtools)
install_github("liamrevell/phytools")

All the best, Liam

Liam J. Revell, Associate Professor of Biology
University of Massachusetts Boston
web: http://faculty.umb.edu/liam.revell/
email: liam.rev...@umb.edu
blog: http://blog.phytools.org