Dear members

My name is Valentine Usongo and  I am a postdoctoral trainee at the INSPQ
Montreal-Quebec. I am working on the use of whole genome sequenced based
methods for the detection of foodborne outbreaks in Salmonella. I am still
a neophyte in the field of bioinformatics. I just concatenated 14
individual trees with the cat function in linux. These trees were in
newick format and they were generated using the SNVPhyl pipeline
of the National Reference Microbiology Laboratory of Canada. These trees
were generated by mapping my Salmonella isolates to a reference genome and
the only thing that differs in all the trees is the reference genome since
each tree has a different reference and my objective here was to assess
the impact of the choice of  reference genome on the ability of the SNV
method to separate outbreak from nonoutbreak isolates. My  goal is to
compare the topologies of these trees using the Kendall-Colijn (rooted)
method. This method requires that trees should be rooted but mine are not
rooted.
Is it possible to root unrooted trees in R or linux and if so how can one
go about it ? The metric requires that the input trees should be in the
nexus format and they should be rooted. My trees are in newick format and
I converted them to nexus in R but then got stuck because I cannot figure
how to root the trees. I would be very grateful for your input.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Yours sincerely
Valentine Usongo