On Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 3:25:34 PM UTC-7, Dan Liebgold wrote:
> Is there a way to do minimal installs of packages?  I imagine skipping any
> gui elements would cut down the dependencies quite a bit.

You can install a package in binary form with `raco pkg install --binary foo`,
which fetches pre-built bytecode and pre-rendered documentation from the
package catalog build server. This requires you use the same Racket version the
build server uses, which is usually the latest released version. This also
completely skips installing dependencies only needed for build time (build-deps
in a package's info.rkt). You can further omit installing pre-rendered
documentation by using --binary-lib instead of --binary.

Side question for Racket package system folks: will the migration to Chez
scheme affect binary installs of packages? I seem to recall discussion that
bytecode might be going away as part of the Chez transition.