I was also surprised by the-unsupplied-arg (
http://docs.racket-lang.org/reference/function-contracts.html#%28def._%28%28lib._racket%2Fcontract%2Fbase..rkt%29._the-unsupplied-arg%29%29)
when I first encountered it: perhaps it should not be the very last thing
in the documentation for ->i?

If there are optional arguments that are not supplied, then the
> corresponding variables will be bound to a special value called
> the-unsupplied-arg value. For example, in this contract:
> (->i ([x (y) (if (unsupplied-arg? y)
>                  real?
>                  (>=/c y))])
>      ([y real?])
>      any)
> the contract on x depends on y, but y might not be supplied at the call
> site. In that case, the value of y in the contract on x is
> the-unsupplied-arg and the ->i contract must check for it and tailor the
> contract on x to account for y not being supplied.
> When the contract expressions for unsupplied arguments are dependent, and
> the argument is not supplied at the call site, the contract expressions are
> not evaluated at all. For example, in this contract, y’s contract
> expression is evaluated only when y is supplied:
> (->i ()
>      ([x real?]
>       [y (x) (>=/c x)])
>      any)
> In contrast, x’s expression is always evaluated (indeed, it is evaluated
> when the ->i expression is evaluated because it does not have any
> dependencies).

Aside from Dupéron's point that "the contract can be specified separately
from the function, and the function itself knows the default argument's
value", I have found cases when it's actually useful to know explicitly
whether an argument was supplied or not. For example, make-id-cookie
<http://docs.racket-lang.org/web-server/http.html#%28def._%28%28lib._web-server%2Fhttp%2Fid-cookie..rkt%29._make-id-cookie%29%29>
uses a single ->i contract to check that it was called with either three
by-position arguments or two by-position arguments and a #:key argument
(but not three by-position arguments and a #:key argument). Then the actual
implementation can use a default value of #f (which wouldn't satisfy any of
the relevant contracts) for these supposedly-optional arguments, and
normalizing the arguments becomes just a matter of using or.

-Philip