-----Original Message-----
From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Rhonda Marker
Sent: Thursday, October 23, 2008 4:29 PM
To: RDA-L@INFOSERV.NLC-BNC.CA
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] FRBR user tasks (was: Alternatives to AACR2/MARC21?)

I've been lurking since the list began, but will dart out into the open
just this once.

You ask what difference it will make to try to bring both precision and
recall to searches (my vocabulary, not yours). For some tasks, such as
finding enough to write an undergraduate essay, perhaps itadds very
little beyond what a simple keyword search would accomplish. For other
tasks, a more comprehensive result is vitally important-- for graduate
level research, for many STM (science-technology-medicine) topics, and
I'm sure others could give many more categories of things and even
specific instances. I guess my point is that the General Searcher is not
our only user. Having a model like FRBR helps us organize our efforts so
that whatever our resources allow us to do, we can do in a purposeful,
concerted way.
---------------------------

I haven't read that FRBR or RDA will make it easier for people to find
things, except in the sense that the FRBR displays may provide more useful
collocation of similar records (by work/expression/manifestation/item).

And when we bring "precision and recall" into the equation, I don't know if
this has anything to do with RDA or even with human cataloging.
Traditionally, precision and recall have had to do with evaluating the
results of automated keyword searching, where they have been seen as
canceling one another out, i.e. the greater the precision, the lower the
recall, or the greater the recall, the lower the precision. A good
discussion of this is at:
http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2003/06/22/PandR. Essentially, a
keyword search in a full-text database for "baths of Titus" could bring up
information on the Baths of Titus here in Rome (which is what I would want)
but it could--who knows?--bring up items about growing fish in India or
pornographic sites. Google has gotten around this with their Page Rank
system.

The traditional method for evaluating human indexing uses different
measures: specificity and exhaustivity. If you search human-created indexing
terms you would never get the completely out-of-bound results mentioned
above (unless the human could not read the text at all), but there can be
other problems. The example I use (from my own practice when I was still
learning) is a book I had to catalog about the legal rights and
responsibilities of pregnant women and new mothers in the Soviet Union. I
found copy from a well-known law library that will remain nameless, and
found the single subject: "Women--Soviet Union." While it is not as out of
bounds as what you might get in a full-text keyword search, it is still
wrong from a human indexing point of view.

So, we can make it a bit more specific, but even if we put in Pregnant
women--Soviet Union, that would not have been specific enough because we
have to add the legal aspects. But if we left it there, it still would not
be sufficiently exhaustive because we need something for new mothers.

I have seen several people mix up the evaluation of human and computer
indexing, and the page I gave above appears to do just that. Or perhaps the
official definitions have changed and I'm just behind the times, I don't
know. But I still don't believe that instituting FRBR or RDA will have any
effect on either precision/recall or specificity/exhaustivity.

James Weinheimer