This is a bit experimental, but I have created two livescribe (livescribe.com) audio-visual bits attempting to diagram and explain the expression/manifestation issue that we have been discussing. I apologize for the crudeness of the presentations. You can view them here:

http://tiny.cc/V3hKu
http://tiny.cc/AAK6D

You have to hit the "play" arrow at the bottom left of the diagram, and you may want to go full screen since it's pretty small.

This represents my own confused and naive view, but I can't seem to talk about it without pictures.

The original record is:

LEADER: 01695cam 2200421 a 4500
001 95103482
003 DLC
005 20011130151313.0
008 941205s1994 nyuaf 000 1 eng d
010    $a 95103482
035    $a(OCoLC)31616774
040    $aCtNlC$cCtNlC$dDLC
042    $alccopycat
043    $an-us-ma
050 00 $aPS2384$b.M6 1994
082 00 $a813/.3$220
100 1  $aMelville, Herman,$d1819-1891.
240 10 $aMoby Dick
245 10 $aMoby Dick, or, The whale /$cHerman Melville ; preface by Mark Helprin ; illustrated by Mark Summers.
260    $aNew York :$bBarnes & Noble Books,$cc1994.
300    $axlix, 651 p., [12] p. of plates :$bill. (some col.) ;$c25 cm.
500 $a"The text of Moby-Dick in this volume is from the Northwestern-Newberry edition of The Writings of Herman Melville, edited by Harrison Hayford, Hershel Parker, and G. Thomas Tanselle"--P. [v]. 505 0 $a[Text] -- Appendix A. Chronology. Creating Moby-Dick. Letters. Reviews. Rebirth. -- Appendix B. Chronology of whales. Chronology of whaling. Dictionary of sea terms -- At Melville's tomb / by Hart Crane.
700 1  $aSummers, Mark.
740 0  $aMoby Dick.
740 0  $aWhale.

I've ignored the subject bits because those aren't part of RDA.
--
Karen Coyle
kco...@kcoyle.net http://kcoyle.net