But they could also have been left out in the 3 person rule, which was a
ceiling, not a floor as in RDA.

Deciding what's legitimate should be up to the agency. We need a single creator
for minimum functionality (receipt printouts, reports, cutters, etc.). We
create bare minimum bibliographic records for some cases (ephemeral material,
romance paperbacks) where it's our judgment call to ignore AACR2 and create the
catalog records that suit our purposes. We prefer to acquire fuller, richer
records for the bulk of our resources, and will augment them as necessary.

It's the agency's relationship to the user base that dictates what policies and
guidelines for catalog records will be followed. In terms of what's available
via technology, there has been nothing but steady increases in the richness and
fullness of the bibliographic data we present to our users. Whether it's
enriched content (cover art, reviews), or more web links, or incorporating
summaries of the content, the shift we're seeing is a focus on incrementally
adding data from a focus on creating the picture perfect, compact,
well-punctuated all-in-one record. That's the reality I see RDA acknowledging,
and RDA should be part of the ecosystem of our information systems for that
reason alone going forward.

Plus it's a lot more fun working with an element set. As an example, our system
no longer uses the GMD (it uses fixed fields to create labels and icons), and
having to maintain the GMD and worry about punctuation and filing and display
issues is not something I would wish about any library. But segregating and
atomizing the components for this information (which is the direction RDA is
going with its element set and entity-relationship approach) is such a night
and day improvement in terms of maintenance and flexibility over AACR2
cataloging, that more of the same is the only logical decision to make.

Thomas Brenndorfer
Guelph Public Library