In one of the last mails in the "statement of responsibility" thread, I had posed a question about the LC practice for collections of essays and such like. Probably, many people had already dropped out of that thread (admittedly, it went on rather long...), so I didn't get any reaction. That's why I'm re-sending my question here:

I'm not quite sure whether I've correctly understood LC's practice for compilations, as documented in LC-PCC PS for 25.1: "Related work is a core element for LC for compilations: give a MARC 505 contents note unless the contents are indicated in another part of the description (e.g., in MARC 245 $a because no collective title is present). There is no limit on the number of works in the contents note unless burdensome. For compilations of works, give an analytical authorized access point for the predominant or first work in the compilation when it represents a substantial part of the resource. Disregard contributions such as a preface or introductory chapter. Generally, do not apply this core element to anthologies of poetry, hymnals, conference proceedings, journals, collections of interviews or letters, and similar resources."

Does that mean that LC will (in addition to a contents note) _always_ make a name-title entry for the first work (apart from introductions and such like) in a compilation which doesn't fall under the exception? E.g. for a festschrift, would there now always be a name-title entry for the essay which happens to come first in the book (quite independent of the fact whether the authors of the individual works are named on the t.p. or not)? Or would that only be done if the essay in question really makes up a substantial part of the book (which wouldn't be the case, presumably, if there were 58 essays in the volume)?

Heidrun

--
Prof. Heidrun Wiesenmueller M.A.