We've been discussing 2.3.2.6 "Collective Title and Titles of Individual Contents" the other day, and there was some disagreement about its meaning, especially with regard to the optional additions.

It seems to me that 2.3.2.6 covers two different cases:

#1: A resource containing several works, with the source of information listing both a title for the whole and also the titles of the individual works, e.g. three novels by David Lodge:

David Lodge
THE CAMPUS TRILOGY
Changing places
Small world
Nice work

#2: An individual part of either a monographic series or a multipart item, with the source of information giving both the title of the individual part and also the title of the series, e.g.:

Introduction to technical services
Library and information science text series

The rule tells us to use "The campus trilogy" as the title proper of the manifestation in #1, and "Introduction to technical services" as the title proper of the manifestation in #2.

This is straightforward enough. The problems start with a closer look at the optional additions, as there seems to be a weird mix-up of work and manifestation.

OA for #1: "Record the titles of the individual contents as titles of related works (see 25.1)."

I believe this means that you can establish relationships to the works contained and then record the other titles on the source of information in this context. Related works can be recorded by using an AAP (in MARC: a title or name/title added entry), using a structured description (in MARC: a contents note) or an identifier (25.1.1.3). The identifier option is quite common in German cataloguing, where we often have hierarchical records. So we could have a composite description for the whole and also composite descriptions for the individual contents, linked together by control numbers.

If I got it right so far, then I have a huge problem with the phrase "as titles of related works" in the OA. Let's say we have a German version of Lodge's "Campus Trilogy":

David Lodge
DIE CAMPUS-TRILOGIE
Ortswechsel
Kleine Welt
Saubere Arbeit

In an AAP you would indeed use the *titles of the works*, i.e. the English titles (in combination with the language information), but these are certainly not the *titles of the individual contents* as you've found them on the source of information (which are in German). In a 505 note, on the other hand, I believe the titles are transcribed as they are given on the source of information. So you would use the German titles, but these are certainly not the *titles of the related works* (these would be their English counterparts). If you use the identifier method, i.e. create a composite description for each novel contained, again you would record the titles found on the source (the German titles) as titles of the manifestations, and not as titles of the works.

OA for #2: "Record the collective title for the larger resource as the title of a related work (see 25.1)."

I believe this means that you can establish a relationship to the larger work, i.e. make an added entry under the series, and record the series title there. In MARC, this is done by an AAP for the series in 830 (in German cataloguing, it would be done by identifier linking). I think there is a similar problem as in #1: For the AAP of the series, you would use the title of the work, but this might not necessarily be identical with "the collective title for the larger resource", as you've found it on the source of information.

Summing up this rambling mail, I think it odd that, in a part/whole relationship, some of the titles on the same source of information are treated as titles of manifestion and some are treated as titles of works.

Maybe somebody can help?

Heidrun

--
Prof. Heidrun Wiesenmueller M.A.