For the most part I don't think there is any pressing need to convert pre-RDA
descriptive cataloging.  The changes to the descriptive portion of the record
are more or less aesthetic ("p." vs "pages" for example).  We have lived with
AACR2 and pre-AACR2 records living cheek-by-jowl in our catalogs for
generations, and no catalog that I know has spontaneously combusted because of
it.

But the real question is access points--and in particular, whether RDA relators
can be retrospectively added to pre-AACR2 records. As someone has already
pointed out, as it stands they are not going to be particularly useful in
constructing indexes or underpinning faceted discovery unless they are
uniformly present in every record in the catalog.

If they are not consistently applied then users will either get "loosey"
results (things showing up where they don't belong) or worse, "lossy" results
(things NOT showing up where they do belong).

I would be very curious to know if anyone with a systems background has thought
about ways to batch-apply relators to existing records. Perhaps by making use
of existing statements of responsibility?  It seems to me given the number of
pre-RDA records out there that no one will ever have time and/or money to
update them manually.

Benjamin Abrahamse
Cataloging Coordinator
Acquisitions and Discovery Enhancement