From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:RDA-L@listserv.lac-bac.gc.ca] On Behalf Of Heidrun Wiesenmüller
Sent: Tuesday, December 03, 2013 12:15 PM
To: RDA-L@listserv.lac-bac.gc.ca
Subject: [RDA-L] Habilitation theses

On a related note:

The other day, we were wondering how habilitation theses should be treated
under RDA. These are quite common in Germany. In case you're not familiar with
this European concept:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habilitation

Some universities grant the academic degree of "Dr. habil." to somebody who has
successfully completed his or her habilitation. But in many cases, there is no
special academic degree connected with the habilitation. From then on, the
successful candidate can call him- or herself a "Privatdozent" (private
lecturer, PD), while they are waiting for a professorship, but this is no
academic degree.

According to the German cataloging rules, we only record "Habilitationsschrift"
(habilitation thesis), but no specific degree - just as for doctoral theses, we
only record "Dissertation" (without distinguishing between e.g. "Dr. phil." and
"Dr. med."). Under RDA, do we now need to find out whether it's a case of "Dr.
habil." or not? And what about the cases where no special academic degree is
granted?

Heidrun

--
Prof. Heidrun Wiesenmueller M.A.