From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA] On Behalf Of James Weinheimer
Sent: Tuesday, December 10, 2013 4:35 AM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] Automatically adding relationship designators (was Cost of
Retrospective Conversion for Legacy Data...)

On 09/12/2013 0.04, Kelley McGrath wrote:
<snip>
OLAC is attempting a project of this sort for film and video credits. We are
trying to teach a computer to recognize the names and roles that appear in
245$c, 260+$b, 508 and 511 (and if we get really brave maybe 505) and also
connect them to the correct 1xx/7xx if present. The current program, which uses
natural language processing (NLP) techniques, is reasonably successful with
personal names and with roles given in English. We are working on building a
multilingual vocabulary. It tends to choke on complicated statements that
involve a lot of corporate bodies.
</snip>

I hesitate to bring this up because most probably everybody already thinks of
me as a purveyor of doom and gloom, but I still believe that we must consider
these things in realistic terms. Although the attempt is laudable, I still say
that we must first of all see through the eyes of the users who would be
interested in this kind of information. For instance, if I am a regular user
and I wanted to know the movies directed by John Huston, what would be the
first thing I would think of?

"Google it". I am sure almost everybody would. So I did a natural language
search: "what movies did john huston direct" and what happens?
https://www.google.it/search?q=what+movies+did+john+huston+direct (This is
linked data in action!) We find that down below in the links area (at least in
the results I get), #1 is a link to John Huston in Wikipedia, #2 goes to
"Category:Films directed by John Huston" also in Wikipedia, and #3 goes into
his page at the IMDB (which I personally prefer). All have lists of the movies
he directed. This is incredibly easy to do and free to all.

Putting aside for the moment the linked data result, the 3 links perform
exactly the same function as in the past when someone would ask a reference
librarian, "I need a list of the movies John Huston directed" and the
knowledgeable reference librarian would reply: "Here. You can find the list in
this book." and would hand the user the latest issue of this title
http://lccn.loc.gov/sn99044419 (or something similar) which was very possibly
shelved in the reference collection for quick and easy access.

Therefore, just as the reference librarian would take the user's question and
convert it into, "He needs to look in Film directors : a complete guide", today
a reference librarian would do the same thing but answer/include, "He needs to
look in the IMDB". Without any doubt, that is the ethical answer for such a
question and will remain so for a long, long time in the future.

The huge difference is that today, people rarely consult reference librarians.
The librarian would already know that if you want to find the films of specific
directors, the library catalog is currently not the right place to look for
this information and when viewed realistically, it never will be the right
place. There is nothing at all wrong with that. Not every tool is good for
every use, just as if you want the latest business news or to find out why your
XML won't validate, the best place is not JSTOR, and it never will be. That
doesn't mean JSTOR is no good--it just means that you have to look in other
places for that kind of information. Today, the correct place to look for the
films people have directed is the IMDB or perhaps a few other places on the
web. We are *really lucky* that we have such options for free today. The
reference librarians would be able to help the searcher in these directions
*if* they were asked, but sadly, that is happening less and less.

So, adding the relator codes automatically will still demand manual cleanup,
perhaps (probably) on a massive scale, if it is ever to become as good as IMDB
is *right now*. I suggest that the correct method for a library catalog is to
lead the person to the *right resource* that he or she wants and perhaps even
do it *better* than Google. In this case of film directors, I find it very
difficult even to imagine how we could do better than Google because the Google
search works so incredibly well. Perhaps a film librarian could discover that
the IMDB and Wikipedia are incorrect or incomplete. In that respect perhaps
library efforts could be better focused on improving IMDB and Wikipedia than
adding relator codes.

There is also the option that the library catalog could interact with the IMDB
(and/or Wikipedia) using the APIs.

This opens up a highly pertinent question for me: I don't even know what a
library catalog is supposed to provide in today's semi-total information
environment. This is a great example. We can't ignore these wonderful sites.
What should the catalog do today?
--
James Weinheimer weinheimer.ji...@gmail.com<mailto:weinheimer.ji...@gmail.com>
First Thus http://catalogingmatters.blogspot.com/