On Jan 5, 2009, at 4:00 PM, Brad Beyenhof wrote:

First of all, I really like rdiff-backup. In most cases (all but the
one I'll detail below), it's been great for me.

Searching in the mailing-list archives has led me to believe that
either the operating system version (64- versus 32-bit) or the python
version may be to blame here. The server I'm using as a backup
repository runs 64-bit CentOS 5. I'm using rdiff-backup *from* two
other servers, one with the same OS and one with 32-bit CentOS 4. The
64-bit machines run python 2.4.3, and the 32-bit has python 2.3.4,
which is the highest version in the Cent4 repos.

Backing up from the 64-bit system works fine, and two of the
directories I'm backing up from the 32-bit system are fine as well.
However, one directory reports "OverflowError: signed integer is
greater than maximum" and quits partway through the backup. The
terminal output with the default verbosity is below; I can attach a
log with a higher verbosity if requested.

Hi Brad,

This is a known problem that is due to a bug in Python. The Python bug has been fixed in their SVN, and was slated to be a part of 2.5.3, so it should be included in the latest Python releases: 2.5.4, 2.6.1, and 3.0. Try upgrading your Python to 2.5.4 or 2.6.1.

Here is some more information about the problem:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/rdiff-backup/+bug/245844
http://bugs.python.org/issue1747858

Andrew