I tried using ninja for the builds in stead of make, after an evening of
not building I successfully had two builds:

https://travis-ci.org/bp-kelley/rdkit/builds/242399233

Commit:

https://github.com/bp-kelley/rdkit/blob/baac00bc1eb7f66413011aed239413fe74da3388/.travis.yml

Note that the default ninja build is #cores + 2 which blew out the memory
on the VMs so I used -j3 we could try this in the makefile as well.

I also think we could shave off a few minutes by

  1. building in the root conda env
  2. having only one conda install for *everything*

If you like I can try these fixes.

Cheers,
  Brian