The solution that Hongbin proposes to the double-counting problem is a good
one. Just be sure to sort your substructure queries in the right order so
that the more complex ones come first.

Another thing you might think about is making your queries more specific.
For example, as you pointed out "[OH]" is very general and matches parts of
carboxylic acids and a number of other functional groups. The RDKit has a
set of fairly well tested (though certainly not perfect) functional group
definitions in $RDBASE/Data/Functional_Group_Hierarchy.txt. The alcohol
definition from there looks like this:

-greg