Just from the slides, it's not clear that Roger had a solution; the slides
seem to just suggest an approach. Am I missing something here?

That is, he defined the invariants that all tautomers of a compound have to
share and expressed it as a SMARTS + constraints; but I didn't see that he
provided a methodology to derive a canonical matching SMILES from a SMARTS
+ constraints. True, if two structures match the SMARTS + constraints, they
are likely tautomers. (I can't think of why they wouldn't be, but maybe
it's not always the case.) So that part provides deduplication of an input
stream, which is good, but no way to derive and store a canonical
representation.

Again, perhaps I'm missing something, but if so, what?

-P.