Paralympic torch lit in Canberra

Source: AAP|Published: Thursday October 5, 1:09 PM

The Paralympic flame came to life in a bed of smouldering eucalyptus
leaves this morning and began its 14-day journey across
Australia.

More than 100 people braved a cold Canberra dawn to gather outside
Parliament House and watch the Ngunnawal people create the
flame in a traditional smoking ceremony.

Children danced and didgeridoos played as the youngest member of the
tribe transferred the flame to the cauldron, from which Prime
Minister John Howard lit the torch.

The first torch bearer was wheelchair tennis player David Hall, a
three-time Olympian who won the US Open last weekend and is ranked
number one in the world.

He said the experience was a career highlight.

'Just the feeling of that 500 metres of pushing amongst all those
fantastic people was something I will never forget,' he told a breakfast
function that followed the ceremony.

'It was probably one of the best experiences of my life - something I
will never forget and something I will live with forever.'

Mr Howard said the lighting ceremony had a nice Australian touch.

'It was resonant with the commencement of the torch relay for the
Olympic Games at Uluru and it is a very nice piece of symbolism,' he
told journalists.

Mr Howard said he hoped Sydney's Paralympics would be the greatest yet.

Paralympic village mayor, former National Party Leader Tim Fischer,
seemed certain they would be.

'We're away,' he told AAP.

'The Paralympics are going to be terrific: you ain't seen nothing yet.'

International Paralympic Committee president Robert Steadward said he
too hoped to be able to call Sydney's Games the best ever.

'The first part, the test event, is completed. Now we can get to the
Paralympics.'

The torch spent the morning in Canberra, visiting the Australian
Institute of Sport, where many disabled athletes train, before being
flown to Melbourne on
the prime minister's plane.

Torch bearers included marathon champion Robert de Castella and
wheelchair sprinter Angela Ballard.

The flame will be flown 11,500km to capital cities around Australia
before embarking on a 750km road trip around New South Wales.

The torch relay finishes at the Paralympic opening ceremony on October
18.