On 9/13/2016 12:01 PM, Jonathan Kühn wrote:

So I got some questions:
To start with a stupid one: Do I really need to join the dev@ or can I
procrastinate this to a later point in time? Can I help you without
joining it, but waiting until I feel more comfortable joining it? How
can I know where you need help?

dev@ is rather busy right now. We are getting reorganized, and preparing to put out a release.

You use subversion. As I am not (yet) allowed to submit changes myself,
do I need to install it?

You will need a subversion client to do useful coding. Even though you can't directly make changes, you can construct a "patch", the difference between your working version and a checked-in version. You can attach a patch to a BugZilla report. A committer can then pick it up and apply it for you.

Where can I find the source code/documentation/tests or whatever I shall
work with, and how should I know which part is important for me at the
moment?

Information about that is in the guides on how to build AOO. What platform(s) will be you be using?

I didn't learn C++ yet, but I think I have to learn it this semester,
but I got basics in C. Should I wait, until I got basics in C++ before
doing anything with your code, or is knowing C and Java as
object-oriented language enough to understand your (C++)-code and write
some myself?
Wait, thats sounds a bit like I think that C++ don't need to be learned
if you did learn C. But I think I heard somewhere, that C-code is C++
compatible, is this true?
I won't ask any more C <-> C++ questions here, I don't think this is the
right forum for this...

This is the right forum for anything a new volunteer needs to ask to get started. It exists to help with those questions without the wide distribution and noise level of dev@

I don't recommend writing C++ without having actually studied it. You may be able to analyze a bug report and track down the problem using C, Java, and some guesswork. That would itself be useful.

I think this are enough questions for the beginning, I tell you if I
know more.
Feel free to ask me anything you want.
I'm waiting for some answers and will be glad to work with you together
on this project.

Sincerely
Jonathan Kühn

PS: Sorry for my bad english, I'm no native speaker.