On Tue, 2006-10-17 at 09:23 +0200, Edward d Auvergne wrote:
> Update of bug #6874 (project relax):

>              Assigned to:                    None => bugman
>              Open/Closed:                    Open => Closed

> Follow-up Comment #2:
>
> I've chased this problem down to the MS Windows 2.4.3 version of Python.  In
> this version, attempting the operation NaN**2 fails with a ValueError.  In
> the Python 2.4.1 in Linux, NaN**2 = NaN!  I'm not sure if this is the Python
> version number or the Windows Python version which is problematic.  As this
> bug should never be encountered by a user (it only occurs when the global
> correlation time and internal correlation time are both zero) and will
> probably be fixed in future Windows Python versions, I am closing the bug
> report.  I am not going to attempt a fix for the problem because the problem
> lies in the Windows Python executables.

As Python's floating-point behaviour is generaly inherited from the
underlying C machinery, this is almost certainly a 'feature' of whatever
C compiler was used to build the windows Python version. Don't hold your
breath for a fix - the powers that be in the Python world are in no
hurry to change this (because building a fast, robust and platform
independent fp machinery is a truly massive task, and they have better
things to do with their time). I can't see MS being in any rush to
change their compiler's behaviour either.

I agree though, that this is not a big issue in the current context. If
it appears in a more serious context, we will have to catch the
situation before the ValueError is thrown in order to at least give the
user a meaningful error message.

Chris