I am appalled by the selfishness of this line of argument -- that the only point of concern is to "protect the chaplain" -- as opposed to serve the religious needs and interest of our armed forces.

Not only are these interpretations of history and law enormously biased and inaccurate, they are offensive.  If the chaplaincy's purpose is solely to promote Chaplain Klingenschmitt's sectarian faith than perhaps Madison was correct in arguing that Congress' decision to hire chaplains was wrong and should now be recended.

David
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, September 30, 2006 8:16 PM
Subject: RE: Victory for Military Chaplains Who Pray "In Jesus Name"

Excellent comment Professor Scarberry,

But now that the policy is rescinded, so is any distinction between "public worship at divine services" and "public worship at command ceremonies" and so the law (once again) protects the chaplain at all events whenever he prays...prayer itself is restored as an act of "public worship" the same way it always had been since 1860.