Judge Posner wrote a majority opinion in a 2012 case that helpfully narrows
the "harboring" issue a little bit. I include the case in my statutory
interpretation casebook. US v Costello, 666 F.3d 1040 (7th Cir. 2012). I'm
not sure it would help a church or other religious person/entity, but it
may be worth taking a look at if the issue arises. The case involved a
woman who opened her house to her undocumented boyfriend, knowing that he
was unlawfully in the US. The majority held that this did not constitute
harboring.

Hillel Y. Levin
Associate Professor
University of Georgia School of Law