Yes, but neither before, nor during, nor after, that 14-year window
(1971-1985) did the Court ever suggest that direct money payments to a
church would be constitutional under the Establishment Clause -- let alone
that a state would be constitutionally *prohibited *from adhering to such a
bright-line rule, something that 39 states have done for 200 or so years
(Missouri's prohibition having been in its Constitution when it joined the
union in 1821).  (And even in the states that do not have such an express
prohibition, and within the federal government, I am not aware of *any
*practice,
until very recently, of direct money grants being given to churches.  The
examples cited at pages 6-9 of the Orthodox Jewish Congregations brief
<http://www.scotusblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/TrinityLutheranMeritsAmicusUOJC.pdf>
(cited
by Justice Alito at oral argument) are all very recent.)

To the contrary, in the most recent direct funding case, *Mitchell*,
Justice O'Connor's controlling opinion stated that there are “special
dangers associated with direct money grants to religious institutions”—a
“form of aid [that] falls precariously close to the original object of the
Establishment Clause’s prohibition.”  And even in *Rosenberger*, Justice
Kennedy's majority opinion stated that “we have recognized special
Establishment Clause dangers where the government makes direct money
payments to sectarian institutions” and that “[i]t is, of course, true that
if the State pays a church’s bills it is subsidizing it, *and we must guard
against this abuse*.”  (Both of these were, of course, in the context of
"neutral" programs that did not *favor *religious recipients.)

Chip is right that it is remarkable that not only has this
longstanding *Establishment
Clause *constraint been virtually forgotten, the Court is likely on the
verge of replacing a "no funding" prohibition with a "must fund"
requirement!

He's also right that one major reason why this could happen is that the
rationales for the "no funding" rule--in particular, Madison's
church-autonomy-protective rationales--have virtually disappeared from the
litigation, and from the public discourse more broadly.  (Note, for
instance, that in *Mitchell, *O'Connor refers to "the original object of
the Establishment Clause’s prohibition" *without mentioning what it might
be*.)  One minor exception is the BJC amicus brief
<http://www.scotusblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/15-577-BJC-Amici-Respondent.pdf>
[disclosure:  I consulted on it]; but its arguments, which were once so
prominent in Religion Clause jurisprudence and scholarship, apparently no
longer resonate with the audience that matters, including, perhaps, the
author of *Rosenberger*, who once "recognized special Establishment Clause
dangers where the government makes direct money payments to sectarian
institutions” and purported to be committed to "guard[ing] against this
abuse.”