Doug, I make no originalist claims about the scope of the "no aid"
principle under the federal Establishment Clause.  Chapter 3 of Lupu &
Tuttle, Secular Government, Religious People makes a "nuanced" (thank you)
argument about the normatively appropriate scope of that principle.  The
principle is not "no money for churches" -- it is "the state should not be
responsible for the formation of religious character, through religious
worship, instruction, or proselytizing." Government aid to secular
functions of faith-based entities is thus OK, and we recognize that drawing
the religious/secular line can be quite difficult.  I think the playground
grants in Missouri would not violate the Establishment Clause if the church
had to promise to make no religious use of the playground (just like the
schools in Mitchell v. Helms had to promise to make no religious use of
computers, etc).

As for the scope of state constitutional no funding provisions, I have
never offered any definitive view of federal constitutional boundaries on
them.  They would obviously violate the First A if they involved explicit
sectarian favoritism or animus.  Under current political circumstances, I
think state decision-makers can be trusted to make sensible decisions about
the scope of their own constitutional limitations.  Missouri is showing how
state politics might shape those decisions at the margins.  So Trinity
Lutheran Church, like Locke v. Davey, which Doug also criticized, is
federalism operating -- each state with its own policies about church-state
separation, and no obvious reason for federal constitutional interference.