I don't have a problem with that general idea, Alan. In some cases where
religious activity takes the form of speech, free exercise principles are most
controlling and may call for distinctive protection; in some cases free speech
principles are the most controlling and call generally for equal treatment.

I don't know exactly where those lines are, but it seems to me that sermons by
religious leaders to the congregation present a strong case for a distinctive
principle of non-interference. (I brought up institutional separation as a
distinctive religion-clause principle; it's not a free speech principle.)
Hosanna-Tabor and other decisions tell us religious leadership is a core area
of free exercise, as is the congregational setting. For government officials to
survey and parse the meaning of sermons is also a core problem; and if the
electioneering restriction were seriously enforced against churches, it would
require such parsing because of the IRS's stated position that the restriction
covers more than express advocacy. And if it were enforced, the burden would be
very serious: removing tax deductibility entirely, and probably substantially
reducing resources, based on one instance deemed to be a candidate endorsement.

I've framed these arguments as RFRA arguments, in article on "government
benefits and religious organizational freedom" from 2009, which appears to be
online only at SSRN
(https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1301685; see pp. 58-62,
66-67). Lloyd Mayer makes by far the most complete RFRA analysis in his B.U. L.
Rev. piece "Pulpit and Politics," also from 2009,
https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1273602, at 1161-97.

Thomas C. Berg
James L. Oberstar Professor of Law and Public Policy
University of St. Thomas School of Law
MSL 400, 1000 LaSalle Avenue
Minneapolis, MN   55403-2015
Phone: 651 962 4918