Hi Christian,

On 03/29/09 02:24, Christian Hammond wrote:
> Would you mind sharing your configuration (or at least a representation
> of it) and how you manage updates to the repository, etc? Something we
> could use as a basis for docs.

Sure, it was pretty simple.  Here is perhaps a rambling overview of how
I use it.  I am not sure this is optimal.  I hope it helps.

cheers,
prabhu

Development with BZR
----------------------

Bazaar is a DVCS.  Imagine a setup where there are several developers
working on a common project.  Each developer maintains an independent
branch on which they develop whatever feature they want.  They then copy
(via rsync/scp or make a symbolic link) their repositories over to their
web page, say ``http://a.org/~developer/projects/my_proj``

One of the developers (the lead say) maintains a mainline or official
branch which is also exposed on his web page say
``http://a.org/~lead/projects/my_proj_mainline``

Each developer maintains an up-to-date copy of mainline on their
machine.  Usually this is achieved with a pull like so::

  cd my_proj_mainline
  bzr pull http://a.org/~lead/projects/my_proj_mainline

Now when the developer is happy with a branch and wants to commit to the
mainline they make a diff between the mainline and their branch like so::

  cd my_proj
  bzr diff --old ../my_proj_mainline > cool_new_feature.diff

Upload this patch to the Review Board site.

Setting up Review Board
------------------------

First make sure you are using a recent enough version of bzr.  1.12
works fine with review board's bzr scmtool. Add a new repository as follows:

  1. Set the Name of the project, ``my_proj`` in this case.

  2. Set the mainline project url to the repository as:
``http://a.org/~lead/projects/my_proj_mainline``

  3. Set the tool to Bazaar.

  4. Make any other settings and add the new repository.

You're all set.

Using review board

This is pretty standard.  Just login, create a new review request,
upload your diff ``cool_new_feature.diff``, and set the base directory
to ``/`` (which works in my case).

Fill in the necessary fields and you should be set for a review.

Once the reviewers have approved the diff, someone (the lead usually)
applies the diff to mainline and others update their branches and pull
from mainline on their official copy.