On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 4:10 AM, Stephen Gallagher <
step...@gallagherhome.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2012-03-30 at 03:22 -0700, Christian Hammond wrote:
> >
> > Review Board 1.6.5 is out. It has a couple bug fixes, but mainly fixes
> > installation issues now that Django 1.4 is out.
> >
> > See
> > http://www.reviewboard.org/news/2012/03/30/review-board-165-released/
> > for more info.
>

> Can you point out what the issues are with Django 1.4? We are trying to
> move to the latest release before Fedora 17 ships, and the fact that
> it's incompatible with Review Board is causing us a bit of a hold-up.
> We'd like to know if there's any way to get it working, but if not I'd
> at least like an itemized list of where the incompatibilities are.
>
> Also, will there be a Django 1.4-compatible version of ReviewBoard
> released before 1.7?

Hey Stephen,

There's no plans for a 1.4-compaible 1.6.x release. It's far too much work
and it's best that we focus on 1.7 development.

Django 1.4 changed a lot of crucial things that we relied upon. Primarily,
it changed how static media files worked in such a way that required
applications to make some extensive modifications, not just to code but
also to users' configuration files (which they'd have to do by hand).

RB 1.6.x itself doesn't make use of the static media stuff, so in theory we
wouldn't be affected. However, the admin UI does use this, and so we'd
basically need to support it on some level anyway. This means adding a
bunch of configuration and settings page logic for the paths, and having
that somehow work with RB's old way of doing things and Django's new way,
and then having every user modify their configuration files by hand.

I'm still trying to figure out what the best migration strategy will be for
that for 1.7. Manual changes may need to be made, which is annoying, but I
think it's even worse to require that in a point release (which people
expect to Just Work when they upgrade).

There's also a scattering of various little bug reports I've seen that we'd
have to address one-by-one. I don't have a master list handy.

I don't have a good answer. Maybe you can bundle both and do something to
require the right version at runtime.

You guys are welcome to try to come up with non-hacky workarounds that
support Django 1.3 and 1.4. If there's a good solution we can include, we
will. However, we won't be doing any work toward that ourselves, as right
now we're swamped with larger problems to tackle (this GitHub API migration
and the finishing work for the 1.7 beta/RC, primarily). The official stance
right now is that RB 1.6.x will support only Django 1.3, and RB 1.7.x will
likely support only Django 1.4.