<x-flowed>Yeah, I read something about that once.  Basically, it said not to
name sensitive and private areas on your site with obvious names and
put them in robots.txt.

But I say that security by obscurity is a bad idea anyway: you should
use access control (user names & passwords) to keep out everyone, not
just robots or those who read robots.txt.

Avi

At 7:27 AM -0800 3/9/2000, Andrew Daviel wrote:
>I recently downloaded and ran the security tool Nessus (www.nessus.com)
>
>Interestingly, Nessus reports the existance of robots.txt as a
>security "vulnerability" (one step worse than a "warning")
>
>I wondered what the robot community might have to say on the topic.
>

>Quote:
>"Vulnerability found on port www (80/tcp)
>
>Some Web Servers use a file called /robot(s).txt to make search engines
>and any other indexing tools visit their WebPages more frequently and more
>efficiently. By connecting to the server and requesting the /robot(s).txt
>file, an attacker may gain additional information about the system they
>are attacking. Such information as, restricted directories, hidden
>directories, cgi script directories and etc. Take special care not to tell
>the robots not to index sensitive directories, since this tells attackers
>exactly which of your directories are sensitive.
>
>Risk factor : Medium"
>
>Andrew Daviel
>TRIUMF

The Complete Guide to Site Indexing and Local Search Engines
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  <http://www.searchtools.com>
</x-flowed>