On Fri, 22 Mar 2002, B Leong wrote:

> I know about ticketmaster, ebay and register.com being in the courts
> over bots crawling on their site. Any others that people know about?

http://www.pcblawfirm.com/news/

Out of interest:

www.ebay.com/robots.txt
# go away
Disallow: /

www.ticketmaster.com/robots.txt
Disallow: /

#If you have any questions or comments about this policy, or
#wish to obtain information on how to obtain event information, please
contact
#[EMAIL PROTECTED]

www.ticketmaster.ca/robots.txt
www.ticketmaster.com.mx/robots.txt
www.ticketmaster.ie/robots.txt
www.ticketmaster.co.uk/robots.txt
www.billettservice.no/robots.txt
404

www.ticketmaster7.com/robots.txt (Australia)
Disallow: /cgi
Disallow: /tmoplus
Disallow: /survey
Disallow: /info
Disallow: /express

www.register.com/robots.txt
404

www.register.com/
<title>Register.com - Domain Name Registration Services</title>
<META NAME="robots" content="index">

www.pollstar.com/robots.txt
Disallow: /tour/

from the PDF:

Pollstar asserts that defendant has routinely crawled plaintiff's site to
glean information
regarding concert listings and then posted that information to defendant's
own site.
Pollstar "caught" defendant by posting concocted false information on
Pollstar's site

The holder of the Register.com domain name sued VERIO for breach
of contract,
trespass to chattels, violation of the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act and
violation of the
Lanham Act as a result of VERIO's use of a robot to collect data from
Register.com's
WHOIS database and certain questionable marketing practices utilized by
VERIO in
promoting its Internet services.

Explorica:
Plaintiff tour company sued a competitor under the Computer Fraud
and Abuse Act
("CFAA"), the Copyright Act and RICO as a result of such competitor's use
of a "scraper" program to collect pricing information from Plaintiff's
site so that the competitor could undercut Plaintiff's prices on a regular
basis.

Ticketmaster
Plaintiff sued defendant, a ticket information aggregation site,
for linking to various pages
deep within Plaintiff's Web site.

E-Bay
Defendant would regularly spider plaintiff's site
(along with many other
auction sites) to extract information about items being auctioned and
related prices, organize that
information and post it on defendant's site.

--
Andrew Daviel, TRIUMF, Canada
Tel. +1 (604) 222-7376

--
This message was sent by the Internet robots and spiders discussion list
([EMAIL PROTECTED]).  For list server commands, send "help" in the body of a message