At 9:07 AM -0800 2/28/03, Tim Bray wrote:
Nick Arnett wrote:
Mailman (see http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/index.html) is becoming a
widely used mailing list server.  There is some serious discussion beginning
about building a new list archiver for it.  This could include a mechanism
for making such archives friendlier with robots, I suspect.

I'd suggest that it include a mechanism for robots to retrieve updates via a
single transaction

I'd think that RSS is the obvious candidate. It's here, well-defined, well-debugged, tons of software out there for it. I think it could be made to do more or less exactly what you want.

RSS 1.0 looked very good when I researched it for OSCOM last year. There's no mechanism for indicating deleted pages, but mailing list archives don't delete, so that's OK. ICE is a more full-featured syndication standard, and at least one person told me it would probably work better than RSS.

Avi

--
Complete Guide to Search Engines for Web Sites and Intranets
   <http://www.searchtools.com>