I'm standing firm on my suggestions.  Adding a delay for crawlers is a
good idea in concept,
and allowing fractional seconds is a way for webmasters to request
reasonable constraints.  Is
it such a stretch to allow a robot that you use to promote your business
unmitigated access to
your site, but require other robots to throttle down to a few pages per
second?

As for preferred scanning windows, many organizations have a huge surge
of traffic from customers
during their normal operating hours, but are relatively calm otherwise.
Requesting that robots
only scan outside of peak hours is a nice compromise between keeping
them out entirely and keeping
them out when you're too busy serving pages to human readers.

I just read Walter's response to this thread, and he mentions
bytes-per-day and pages-per-day
limits.  Those are fine in the abstract and may be helpful.  But if a
robot is limited to 100MB
a day and it decides to take them all in one draw during your peak
traffic hours, then volume
limits alone are not sufficient.