On Saturday, 23 September 2006 13:09, Chris Cannam wrote:
> > I'm thinking what we really need here is some way to have our cake and
> > eat it too.  Events stay one event, and that event is one long dash in
> > the matrix, and a series of what appear to be discrete tied notes in
> > notation.
>
> That was one of the options for how we might have
> implemented this in the first place, but it seemed too
> hard.  We have a framework now (introduced for
> splitting dynamics across multiple lines in printing)
> that might help, but it would still be an awful hack.
>
> Although my estimate of which of two options is the
> simpler has been wrong before.

I think that many people, including myself, would prefer a solution where you
could select a "no quantization" option in addition to the existing ones
before recording. In this case, Rosegarden should disable all the
post-recording processing, at the cost of not being able to open the recorded
segments in the notation editor until you run a quantization process on it.

Notation is only one of the goals for MIDI sequencer computer users. Another
common goal is to store an exact registration of the musical performance, for
a later post-processing or whatever. Even the same file may be a mixed case
of both goals for different tracks.

Regards,
Pedro