On Jan 23, 2008, at 3:25 AM, Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:

2008/1/22, Jeff Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
I'm in the process of finalizing rpm-5.0.1 for release.

Is there any reason I should _NOT_ add rpmbuild --lsb to rpm-5.0.1?

Of course this would be a good addition. Just make sure it selects the
correct CPU type and package architecture for non-x86, too.

I've added --lsb (without --target=i486) to rpm-5.0.1.

The issue of automagically selecting the arch is quite complicated,
and has almost nothing (imho) to do with producing a package that
has a format compliant with the existing LSB package standard.

So I've punted: one will have to invoke
        rpmbuild --lsb --target=i486
(or whatever is deemed the LSB "standard" arch) instead of
        rpmbuild --lsb

BTW, thanks for yer comments. You have no idea how
much of an albatross the LSB packaging standard has been
for _BOTH_ rpm and lsb.

Your help has created more forward motion in 2 weeks than
in the last 2 years.

73 de Jeff
LSB Communication List                                rpm-lsb@rpm5.org