Hi Anders,

Can I follow up with you on something?  See my question inline...

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 12:30 PM, Anders F Björklund <a...@rpm5.org> wrote:
[ snip ]

> Using the yum.spec from Fedora on FreeBSD won't work, and is
> probably the least of your problems compared with portability.
>
> A yum port is available, and it required *lots* of patching:
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/150541
>
> But even with all the patching, the only yum use is for handling
> RPM packages for Linux on FreeBSD (like for the linux emulator).
> It has too many hardcoded assumptions to work for native packages.
> There is no real interest in having it portable to other systems.

I left something out when I explained that we were trying to build
Yum.  We are looking to install RPM and Yum and use those to manage
our homegrown software and packages on FreeBSD.  We're not looking to
manage anything other than our own software and applicable
dependancies.

Having said that, do you believe that portability will continue to be
an issue under these circumstances?

--
Take care
Rick Miller