I have no idea about potential rsync modifications, but you might try FDT to
solve this problem:

http://monalisa.cern.ch/FDT/

I have found it easy to use and it absolutely maxes all available bandwidth for
the fastest possible data transfer. It doesn't have rsync goodies like update
and only changed data, but it's multithreaded, multi-stream, and all around a
really fast data mover.

Chris